Monday, September 24, 2012

An Autumn Weekend

Autumn is a strange time here in Florida.  While most of you are talking about a chill in the air and leaves turning colors (oh how I miss that from my days as an Ohio girl) we're at the point where it's finally cool enough to venture outside.

Col/Mr. Sew Fab took me to lunch at the Marina down the street from our house on Friday.  Fish sandwiches plus a water view equals perfection.....
And we took the dogs on another adventure in the Got Crabs.....
We headed back to "our" deserted beach just across the bay and "the kids" ran and played and rolled in the sand and frolicked in the waves....
And when we returned home, Emma settled in on her favorite sofa cushion right under the vent and didn't budge for SEVEN HOURS!  (O.K.  That's actually not a picture of her on the sofa cushion.  That's a picture of her in bed.  The pictures of her on the sofa cushion didn't look too good so I used a substitute "Emma Is So Exhausted Picture.")
And I went on some sort of wild Spring Cleaning in Autumn frenzy.  I'm on one of those kicks where I'm determined to become a more organized and efficient and productive person and get rid of all the clutter and become one of those people who has a home that always looks picture perfect.  And I started with the magazines.  The piles and piles and piles of magazines that just keep growing and taking over.   Do you know what I'm talking about?  I bet you have those piles too, don't you?  If you don't I'm seriously, REALLY impressed!  And kind of jealous.....

I went through over 100 magazines, tore out the articles that I REALLY wanted (to be put in a 3 ring binder and sorted by theme/topic/etc.) and threw the rest away.  I was ruthless and showed no mercy!  Just me against the magazines.  And it felt SOOOO good.  I still have a long way to go but at least I'm heading somewhere! 

The funniest part about the Great Magazine Purge of 2012 was when I was going through some old Website business magazines that were about FIVE YEARS OLD and there was an article about this new thing called blogging that everyone should try.  Ya know....that new craze that's taking over the internet!  Needless to say, I didn't save that article!

And the other thing I've been doing is keeping a daily log of exactly what I'm doing all day.  It's absolutely amazing how much you get done when you're forcing yourself to admit on paper what you're spending your day doing!  I just don't want to have to write down stuff like "checked Pinterest for the 20th time."  And it's also amazing to see how much extra sewing time I'll have if I keep this up!

Well....I'm gonna run and go do things that extremely productive and responsible people do.....as soon as I figure out what those things are!

Happy Sewing,
Jenny

4 comments:

giddy99 said...

I just purged all of our magazines (well, sort of). I buy them for the high school fundraisers, and RARELY even crack one open - they just pile up. But I went to throw them away, and my husband was worried that some Really Awesome Recipes were slipping away. I handed him the stack of mags (about 2 feet high, and spanning 3 years), and told him to select ONE recipe from each, and then toss it. SO LIBERATING.

Well, the recipes are a bit of extra work, but the mags are gone. :)

Missy Shay said...

Emma is so sweet! I'm going to have to keep a log also, that is a great idea!

Jane said...

what a wonderful day!!! - love when the humidity isn't in the 90s.
but, exactly why isn't Emma wearing a life jacket in the boat????
anyway, love the pictures and your story and good for you for starting your spring cleaning a little early!

Dana Gaffney said...

I just did the autumn major cleaning, all except my sewing room which I'm afraid I surrendered to. We're still waiting for any kind of cool down here, but have high hopes for soon.