Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Feeling Crabby

Returning to reality after a wonderful vacation is kind of a shock to the system.....but when you're greeted with boxes full of gorgeous new fabric collections the day becomes much brighter! Going Coastal (by Emily Herrick for Michael Miller Fabrics) was one of the collections that arrived while I was gone and it was love at first sight. I knew it would be the perfect fabric collection to brighten up our bedroom and continue my new "Gender Neutral Hawaiian" decorating scheme. So, I immediately whipped up some accent pillows to complement the sad and lonely applique crab pillow that we already have...
I used Going Coastal Orange Crab Walk for the simple knife edge pillows. I love making pillows - it's so easy to do and they immediately brighten up the room.....
But I have to say that my favorite from this collection is the ridiculously cute Bottle Caps fabric....
And now I'm pretty sure that I need to make a nice quilt to lay at the end of the bed using the whole collection. I haven't even finished the quilt for the living room yet.....but that's never stopped me from starting a new project before!
After looking at all my patterns and tossing ideas around in my head I think I arrived at the perfect plan. I'm going to use the Flora & Fauna Pattern (also by Emily Herrick).....
And instead of doing the flower and butterfly appliques as shown, wouldn't it be cute if I did starfish and crab appliques in their place? Or maybe I could just leave the appliques off and let the beautiful prints really stand out in a simple quilt full of big circles and squares. What do you think?

I better run....it looks like I've got a lot of sewing to do!

Happy Sewing,
Jenny

P.S. And in case you're wondering, the applique crab pillow in the middle was a gift from a friend - I didn't make it. The tag on the pillow says "Hable Construction." and the Outrigger Inn print is from Kerne Erickson's website.

4 comments:

Denise in PA said...

I'm working on a quilt with Going Coastal right now - I love it! I'm doing Crazy Old Ladies' Beachin' pattern - it really shows off all the fabrics and is super simple to make. Of course, I'll have lots of leftovers to make something else! Your pillows are adorable. o:)

Unknown said...

Such a GREAT line of fabric. I told my husband that I was going to make a quilt for our beach house. It was the first he's heard of any beach house, but a gal can dream, right?

WoolenSails said...

That is such fun fabric and that pattern would be perfect with it. I can't wait to see how it comes out.

Debbie

free indeed said...

Those crabs are totally delicious...in the eye candy way of course! Too cute!