Wednesday, August 18, 2010

I Finally Did Something.....

Well.....I finally did something about the ugly ironing board cover that I've been complaining about for ages. So last weekend it went from this.......
To this......
I'm sure I'm not the only one that spends a lot of time at the ironing board. And I'm sure I'm not the only one who sometimes leaves the ironing board out for days at a time because I'm planning on getting back to ironing soon......so don't we all deserve for our ironing boards to be pretty.....and maybe even make it match our decor? Definitely, YES!
So, I'll tell you how I did it....I wouldn't really even call this a tutorial. It's more of a "Show & Tell." I think I've seen about a million tutorials and patterns on how to make fancy ironing board covers but I decided I wanted something really simple and easy. I took 2 yds of fabric, some double fold bias tape, some cheap, thin ribbon on a spool and thread.
I laid the ironing board down on the fabric.....
And then cut about 2" around the ironing board. I didn't measure. I just cut. This doesn't need to be perfect so just go for it!
Then I sewed the double fold bias tape around the edge of my fabric. And left a little opening at one end to thread the ribbon through.....
Then, I threaded my ribbon through the bias tape, laid the ironing board on it's new cover (I used the old ironing board pad) and pulled it tight......
And then I just tied my ribbon in a bow.....
It actually took me longer to thread the ribbon through the bias tape than it did to do everything else!

Now.....I should probably get back to ironing.....but I really don't feel ready yet.....I can't do housework without a pretty apron, right? Right??? I think I need to make myself something from More Retro Aprons.....
Or Spring Cleaning....
Yup....I definitely need the right attire before I can get back to doing any housework. A frilly apron will make everything better. That was an easy decision. Sewing now. Housework later.

Happy Sewing,
Jenny





1 comment:

Teresa said...

Thanks for the "show and tell" on making an ironing board cover. Need a new one, too! Now to pick out some fabric...Teresa : )